Friday, November 19, 2010

Week 9 Post 1: Cause and Effect Website


In my opinion, I thought that the Cause and Effect website very helpful and interesting. In the beginning as I was reading I thought it was kind of confusing due to the format of the website. It looks exactly like a textbook. But as I kept reading, I found it easy to understand because it had a lot of examples and the terms were easy to comprehend. I like how it lists out what is important on the site. Such as listing out what is needed in a causal argument, in other words, what to look for.
On the website it says that to be a causal argument it needs to fulfill 3 things:
1. how acceptable or demonstrable the implied comparison is
2. how likely the case for causation seems to be
3. how credible the “only significant difference” or “only significant commonality” claim is.
I felt that the examples that came after the 3 things listed were straight forward and helped me understand the whole concept. 

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you that the website have a lot of information, very much like the textbook. However, I think that the website can be a good supplementary reading for the textbook. I think that for the most part, sometime people find that reading the text is a little bit confusing and hard to understand at first. The website make it a lot clearer and easier to understand. I think that the exercise is really good as well. I really like how the exercise take us one step at a time. This make things really easy to understand and more interesting.

    ReplyDelete