Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Week 6 Post 2: Chapter 8


A concept that was talked about in Chapter 8 is about general claims and their contradictories. This uses the “all or some” of the claim. In the Epstein text, it shows that, All means “Every single one, no exceptions.” Sometimes all is meant as “Every single one, and there is at least one.” Which reading is best may depend on the argument. And some means “At least one.” Sometimes some meant as “At least one, but not all.” Which reading is best may depend on the argument. An example of “all” claims would be: all grass is green, grass is green, every grass is green and everything that’s grass is green. An example of “some” would be some flowers have scents to them and at least one flower smells. Another concept that I learned from this chapter would be “only and no” when used in a claim.  I found that in the text it shows us that No means “not even one,” “every single one is not.” And Only  “Only S and P” means “All P are S.” An example of “no” would be: no grass is green. An example of “only” would be: only flowers and trees smell. 

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog summary of chapter 8, general claims and contradictories in an argument. You made it clear and easy to understand. I like how you stated the different words Epstein uses in a general claim. I like how you explained what each words meant, all, some, no and only. I enjoyed reading your examples! I like how your examples related. I think your examples were great! I like how you provided an example for all types of claims. I think you did a great job summarizing general claims. It was well written! Overall, I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Little J! I chose to discuss general claims as well. I feel that people tend to use, "all" even though it doesn't necessarily means every single person or thing. For example, "All students at SJSU commute to school. That is a really general statement. Even thought there are a lot of commuters and SJSU, people cannot say "all" because obviously there are people who go live on campus. This leads to the discussion of "some." It would be okay to say, "some people at SJSU commute to school."
    That is okay to say because it would have to be at least one person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey hey Little J. To start off I have to say that i really liked your blog. General claims and contradictories is what I also chose to write about in my blog as well. Great minds think alike. For starters, i liked how you did not have to quote Epstein. You merely paraphrased his thoughts and made his words your own. That shows that you truly do have a good grasp on all the information in chapter 8. Also, I feel like this is something people need to work on more. So many people make general statements all the time unknowingly. These statements usually are wrong. No one likes to be wrong. Thank you for summarizing the chapter so well.

    ReplyDelete