Saturday, October 9, 2010

Week 5 Post 3: False dilemmas

A topic that I found interesting in Chapter 6 is False Dilemmas. In the Epstein text, it says that false dilemma means, “a bad use of excluding possibilities where the “or” claim is false or implausible. Sometimes just the dubious “or” claim itself is called a “false dilemma.” This can also be described to be a valid argument, but it isn’t a very good one which causes a false dilemma. This reminds me of the times when my mom had to wake me up in the mornings when I was in middle school. She would use false dilemmas to try to wake me up. She would start from little things like, “Wake up now or I won’t make you pancakes for breakfast.” I would just ignore it until she said, “You better wake up or I won’t drive you to school!” After I heard that I would get up real fast because I lived 40 minutes driving to school and if I were to take the bus, it would take a hour and a half. False dilemmas work, but there just the things that people say in order for you to change your bad habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment