Thursday, October 7, 2010

Week 5 Post 1: Chapter 6


In chapter 6, there were a lot of small details to follow and learn about. The first thing that I learned about is the compound claims. In the Epstein text, it says that it means, “A compound claim is one composed of other claims, but which has to be viewed as just one claim.” An example of that would be, “I will buy you lunch or I’ll just cook you something to eat.” This shows that I’m not sure what I am going to be doing, but it still one claim. 

The second this I learned in Chapter 6, is about contradictory of a claim. In the text the definition of it says, “One that has the opposite truth-value in all possible circumstances.” The claim would be, John is not a football player. The contradictory would be, John is a football player. This shows a claim that can be true but in contrary, the claim is turning in the opposite direction. 

2 comments:

  1. This was a well organized blog and an easy read. It is usually asked not to quote things, but paraphrase and then site at the end. Besides that, it was a good piece to have put in your blog. I like that you had the definitions so that it made it easier and more understanding for me to read. Your examples were great and on point. It was helpful that you explained after the examples as well. I enjoyed reading this post.Besides some grammar errors, it was good. But hey, this is not an English class. Keep up the good work:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Steph Powers in that it was an easy to read post. I thought it was great that you stated the definition and then gave an example that was really easy to understand. The examples given were simple but straight to the point. You not only gave examples but you explained them after as to why they follow the definition of the claim stated. I found the contradictory claims interesting as well. This really brought all of the contradictions that people make on a daily basis to my attention. Also, just a hint to help with grammar errors: type up your post on Microsoft Word, use spell check, then copy and paste the paragraph to your blog, and then post it. Helps a lot with the grammar 

    ReplyDelete